Can someone fill in the "blanks" for me?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Holly

Can someone fill in the "blanks" for me?

Post by Holly »

In the early 60's my family would rent this large cabin on the Island. I do know it was on the east side of the Island and we would rent it from Mr. McDonough. We'd get off the ferry and go to the store to check in...or get a key...I was little and too excited to really pay attention to what the parents were doing.
The family would caravan out to the cabin. Kids were responsible for unloading the linens for our bunkhouse-like room we all slept in. Seems that there were two private bedrooms for parents and possibly one couple would sleep in the living room. The cabin was sort of primative. One year Mom found a chipmunk in a large cook pot in a cabinet. I remember an inside bathroom and sort of a shower.
Where was this cabin located...anybody know? Is it still standing?

The last year we were there there was a fawn in a pen in town and her name was Jackey. We were told the doe had been hit.

Well thanks for reading. Hope someone can fill in the blanks.
Holly in Missouri
Beaver Beacon

photos from Shirley Cole

Post by Beaver Beacon »

Hi Holly - I have no idea whether the cabin you described is still standing, but I do have this photo of my grandmother (Mary Gatliff) feeding a fawn with a baby bottle that was taken about the same time you mentioned in your email.

The fawn was in a little pen like you described, and it's probably the one you're thinking of. Also have a photo of my uncle (Perry Gatliff) feeding the deer as well.

Hope the images come through okay... ~ Shirley (Gatliff) Cole
Kathleen Dvoracek

McDonough's Cabin

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

I'm sure the cabin you are talking about is McDonough's cabin on Sand Bay. It was just down the road from the Jordan River and you had to walk through the sand dune to get to the beach. They used to rent it out in the summer. They tore it down several years ago and built a very nice home there in its place. They still rent the house out that they built in its place though! Give them a call.
Alice Belfy

Post by Alice Belfy »

Shirl

Do you know where the pic of your gram was taken?
KK Belfy Antkoviak

Post by KK Belfy Antkoviak »

Alice,I heard it was taken by the yacht dock.
Linda

photo

Post by Linda »

The fawn pen was down by the yacht dock. All the grandkids loved to go with Gram to feed the fawn. I remember the one named Jackie (after Jackie Kennedy).

Linda Wearn
Joyce

Post by Joyce »

A note about the pictures of the fawn pens - I believe the building in the background of the picture with Mary Tom is the building on the end of the "Old Booth Dock" or "Young James Dock" as it was known when we first went to the Island in 1960. The pen was between the Ferry Dock and the Yacht Dook, fairly close to the street. The picture of Perry feeding must be quite a bit older and the pen is of a different construction. In 1961 there were twin fawns and two rabbits in the pen. The fawns recognized Perry's car and would crowd to the fence ready to be fed when he came.

Joyce Bartels
BIHS volunteer