If not- why not?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

pam moxham

If not- why not?

Post by pam moxham »

I spoke recently with Tracey Rupinski RN Clinical manager of COA ( council On Aging) and I asked a lot of questions re. Beaver Island elders and having their needs met.

There is one nursing assistant employed by CoA on BI.

Recently our one nsg asst notified her clients she would be taking a vacation in May ....she works hard and earned and deserved it.In a letter dated april 3rd 2004 her clients rec'd the following letter from Ms Rupinski:

Dear Client
Vacation time or time away from the work environment is important to a workers health and wellness. This includes the staff of the Commission on Aging.

This is a friendly reminder that your worker Pam has a vacation planned for Monday may 5th through Monday may 19 2014.She will be returning to work on Tuesday may 20th 2014.

Every attempt has been made to find a replacement worker for you, but we regret that one is not available at this time .If a worker becomes available you will be notified by phone.

During this scheduled vacation , please make other arrangements for your personal care. respite or homemaking needs.

sincerely
tracey Rupinski RN BA
Clinical Manager.

When I asked Ms Rupinski about what was involved in "every attempt"I was told they, CoA have a contract with the BIEMS to finance/find a replacement.

Initially funded by a grant , she wasn't sure if the funding was still available. Kate was the last person in that position to the best of my knowledge , and she's been gone ( off island ) for years.

Seriously ? No one could be found a month in advance to assist our Charlevoix Co tax paying citizens with their " personal care, respite or homemaking needs" ?

"Every attempt" meant calling the BIRHC.No one from across could assist due to their own client rosters.

What happens next?
Is there funding at BIRHC to pay for a temp assist?
What are the numbers of clients on BI? ( numbers not names ..HIPPA and all that )
Does this number increase in summer?
Why are the schedules of people who have assistive care all winter .
altered to make accommodations for new or summer people?
(IF they were asked ..do you mind if we switch..do we think they'd say no? these are folks who need assistance ...THEY aren't going to rock the boat)
If this is a position available where/when/how often and by whom is it posted?
This position would require some training...how long? where? and who pays?
One person cannot do it all.Why isn't this a job share position..especially in summer if numbers are up?
With the recent BICS career day and with job "shadowing" was this
s position mentioned/offered?

If we want to encourage folks of all ages and capabilities to visit /live here, why isn't this being addressed aggressively/actively?

We promote yep have EMS! yep have BIRHC! yep fly you off in an emergency...Folks it's not the emergencies that give pause always .What about the general adl ( activities of daily living).
Aren't there responsible people needing work?
Can't foresight be implemented? We need someone to assist....

No I don't want the job. I'm busy enough with volunteer and paying jobs.

thank you,
Pam Moxham RN . BIEMS-MFR
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

erp! CoA has a contract with BI RHC NOT BIEMS.....darn there goes my proof reading reputation!
Eric N

BIRHC

Post by Eric N »

Pam, as a reminder to those who expressed interest in the BIRHC, tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. at the Peaine township hall will be a meeting for those who expressed interest in attending a focus group. I nearly forgot about it as I have been engrossed in my own schedule. If this particular meeting is not the "proper" place to ask your questions I hope to find out when and where would be the proper place. These are issues that will involve all of us sooner than later.
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

thanks Eric , these are questions that need answers. I won't be at the mtg but hopefully a CoA rep will be to address contracts at least..
pam