The Real Meaning Of CHRISTMAS

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

The Real Meaning Of CHRISTMAS

Post by Gillespie »

In a true act of what makes CHRISTMAS so meaningful, the crew of the Emerald Isle sailed to Charlevoix today and is on her way back with 47 people whose Christmas would have been ruined if not for their show of spirit. Be sure to thank, Captains' Kevin McDonough and Mike Green, Engineer Joe McDonough and Steve Drost for their kindness. Special thanks go to Margo Marks, Boat Company Manager for putting the trip together. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Michelle LaFreniere

The Real meaning of Christmas

Post by Michelle LaFreniere »

Hey Rich,
I was aboard the "Christmas Ship" and all of her passengers were equally grateful for the crew who came on Christmas Eve and saved us from being stranded. Each of us had special reasons for really really wanting to get "home" for Christmas. For some of us our families would not be together if we didnt get there, some traveled from as far away as Delaware(Terry and Nancy Saxtons daughter Julie and her family) and for some of us it was the fact that Santa's last known address for the children was Beaver Island, but the children were in Charlevoix and no way for Santa to change that at the last minute. We made the best of it from the start,(well OK I whined a little) making plans for "what if", and what could we each do to save Christmas for the many young children in the airport waiting room.. We laughed, we cried,we prayed, and we drank wine. When Fr. Pat showed up we were sure we would be flying any minute. Divine intervention had arrived. Sometimes what you pray for isnt what you really want or need though, and so God makes other plans for you.. Enter Margo Marks and the fearless Emerald Isle Crew.. When we heard they were coming we all cheered and knew that the uncertainty was OVER.. we were going HOME for Christmas. Everyone arrived at the boat with the biggest smiles I have ever seen. In addition to the smiles some brought beer, some brought snacks and Dawn George brought her guitar. We were set to go. We sang Christmas Carols, filled up on cheese and crackers and drank beer.. and before we knew it we were entering Beaver harbor, to the welcome of MANY MANY sets of headlights at the point. A cheer rose up from the passengers, but at the same time we were trying to get together a kitty to see if the crew would go around the harbor a few times. We had just spent 2 of the most wonderful hours getting to know each other and really reflecting on the true meaning of Christmas and none of us wanted it to end just yet.
There are more people to thank though.. Oh yes, we need to Thank God and Santa for Joe, Mike, Kevin, Steve and Margo, but what about the crew on the docks on both sides?? lets not forget them, and I wondered if the bridge operator came out just for us too?? and How about a cheer for Michelle Dreffs who called everyone with packages at the post office so families wouldnt be without gifts for the kids?? Way to go Michelle.. You don't see that in the big city!! Every one of you made my Christmas one to remember.. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart!!
Joy Green

Post by Joy Green »

Let's not forget Paul Barron of Island Airways for all he did to get the Emerald Isle and it's loyal crew on its way to pick us up. I believe Paul's call to Margo was what initiated the whole thing. Like Michelle, I too was on that wonderful trip (with my 5 yr old granddaughter who's gifts arrived on last Wednesday's boat!), and it was one of the smoothest rides we've ever had. The whole experience was truly a Christmas story to remember forever. Mary Delamater
BERNIE MILLER

the real meaning of christmas

Post by BERNIE MILLER »

I must say that this story made me smile. I made a similar trip to the island on December 23 many years ago, with 20 or so others who were stranded in Charlevoix in the fog. This one was on the American Girl with Johnnie Gillespie at the helm. It is a Christmas I will always remember fondly and a story I have told many times over the years.