National Day of Prayer -- May 8

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Nuge

National Day of Prayer -- May 8

Post by Nuge »

The National Day of Prayer is Thursday May 8, 2014. Please join your fellow community members for a brief 30 minute ceremony at 12:00 noon on the lawn of Holy Cross Church at the flagpole to pray for our Government Leaders on all levels National, State, and Local.

The purpose is to petition to God on behalf of our leaders and those who are in authority over us. No matter what political party you may or may not belong too, no matter what your agreements or disagreements may be please take a moment and stand neighbor to neighbor as we honor our leaders with prayer that they may remain safe, be encouraged to commit to the oaths of office of which they hold, and make decisions for the people of this great nation who have entrusted them with their duties.

Background:
The National Day of Prayer is a vital part of our heritage. Since the first call to prayer in 1775, when the Continental Congress asked the colonies to pray for wisdom in forming a nation, the call to prayer has continued through our history, including President Lincolnâ??s proclamation of a day of â??humiliation, fasting, and prayerâ?￾ in 1863. In 1952, a joint resolution by Congress, signed by President Truman, declared an annual national day of prayer. In 1988, the law was amended and signed by President Reagan. Each year, the president signs a proclamation, encouraging all Americans to pray on this day. Last year, all 50 state governors plus the governors of several U.S. territories signed similar proclamations.

Contact Patrick Nugent for more information: 448-2329
Terri Carey

National Day Of Prayer

Post by Terri Carey »

Pat, I am listening to the 700 Club and they said tomorrow May 1st is the National Day of Prayer.
Nuge

Post by Nuge »

Yes, Terri! You are correct. The day arrived before I knew it! I was unprepared. I figured that it would be better to do it a week later rather than to ignore it altogether.
CoastieGuy

Post by CoastieGuy »

May 8th works for me. Thanks Nuge. :D
Nuge

Post by Nuge »

The Beaver Island National Day of Prayer Service is tomorrow, Thursday, May 8. It will be held at the flagpole at Holy Cross Church. If the weather does not cooperate, we will move inside the Church. The service will last approximately 30-minutes. Here is our program:

Opening Prayer: Patrick Nugent, Coordinator

Pledge of Allegiance: Bill Haggard, Township Supervisor

God Bless America: Lead by Kathy Speck, Beaver Island Christian Church

Prayer for our Government Leaders: John Works, St. James Episcopal Church

Prayer for our Churches: Fr. Jim Doherty, Holy Cross Church

Prayer for our Educators: Joe Moore, Lifelong Teacher

Prayer for our Military: Alvin LaFreniere, Beaver Island AmVets

Prayer for Families: Jean Kinsley, Beaver Island Friends of Veterans

Prayer for Personal Renewal and Moral Awakening: Bob Hoogendoorn, Beaver Island Lighthouse Church & AmVets Chaplin

Closing Prayer: Patrick Nugent, Coordinator

Amazing Grace: Lead by Kathy Speck, Beaver Island Christian Church