Help - Squaw Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

lighthousephantom

Help - Squaw Island

Post by lighthousephantom »

If anyone is going out to Squaw Island this late fall , could you put the window board up on the up-stairs window (be real gentle the window is not to well and take a flashlight it;s real dark after the board is up) and take the buoy bottle off the mooring line on the east side of the island and drop the line to the lake bottom. The weather has kept me from making it out on the weekends. This one again ,full gales!!!!!! I will still try a trip out from Horton Bay if there is a break if no-one can get there.
Thanks Bernie
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

For the past 4 weeks I have seen unexplained lights coming from the tower around midnight. Could it be that one of the former keepers has returned? :?

Skull&CrossBones
lighthousephantom

Arrrrr could be!!!! the lost keeper, wish he would help keep the place up, it's been a tough year on the place.
Eric N

Squaw

Post by Eric N »

Stopped by earlier this year to look and found it surprising to see a lawn mower inside of the lighthouse.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Now you've done it... the BI Pirate will "borrow" it to do the lawn over on Whiskey... the worst kind of neighbor
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

John, You know my aversion toward work, I break out in a rash just thinking about it. :roll: The mower is safe and besides, grass is not meant to be mowed. :wink: Hope someone is able to get to the lighthouse to close it up. I would but my crew have all left for warmer waters leaving me here with Tug, my one eyed dog and Dinghy, my cat with half a tail.

Skull&CrossBones
lighthousephantom

no problem use it at wiskey island that way you can get it to start!!!! then I can cut the poison ivy at squaw. new blade but no spark!!!! need one of those riding mowers with beer can holder, sure would make it better. still hope to make it out but heres the weekend and hi winds again.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Considering his aversion to work...perhaps you can borrow the Pirate's wife's mower....
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Almost made it to Squaw Island last night, scary night, thought for sure I would wake up this morning on Squaw or washed ashore at Cross Village. :roll: If it had been Squaw, I would have closed up the lighthouse. If it had been Cross Village, I would have had a rum at the Legs Inn before returning to Whiskey. :wink:
Hope all fared well in the storm, still blowing gale force today. :(

Skull&CrossBones
lighthousephantom

Good thing you didn't end up in Cross village . we closed the Legs Inn weeks ago, it would have been sheer hell going that far and not get a drink, may have to break a keg out of the store room to get back to whiskey!!!!!!
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Good to know but sorry to hear that they are closed for the season. :oops: My days of pirating kegs are waning so guess I would have just hitched a ride to the Douglas Lake Tavern for a tall rum and then back to Whiskey. :P Has anyone come forward to assist in closing the of the Squaw Island light?

Skull&CrossBones
lighthousephantom

Squaw Island Lighthouse

Hi Islanders
If anyone (B.I. Pirate) might snowmobile out to the island, sure would like to know if the house is holding the snow load and if the windows held with the hard winter wind, 20 yrs + taking care of the lighthouse this is the first year I didn't make it out to get all the window boards up. So any news would be great. But don't take any big risks to go,
Bernie Hellstrom
lighthousephantom@live.com