Miniature Golf Course/ Palm Reading

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BMcCaw

Miniature Golf Course/ Palm Reading

Post by BMcCaw »

I'm interested if anyone has stories/history of the mini golf course. I remember playing it as a kid over 30 years ago and look at it each summer and miss it. I also remember getting my palm read/fortune told next door before it was Daddy Frank's; the lady was
closing up for the season and read our palms as we ordered chili. Odd/fun memory from the island...
Brendan McCaw
Joyce

Miniture Golf Course/Palm Reading

Post by Joyce »

Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Roy built and ran the miniture golf course and refreshment stand (Harbor Hills) to raise the funds to restore the Mormon Print Shop building in the 1950s. The golf course was purchased by Kurt Petrack and moved to the vacant lot where the Hardware store now is.

The Palm reading lady might have been "Tootsie" who remodeled the original refreshment stand into Toosie's Pilot House - or the earlier owner whose name I'm sure someone else can remember.
BIHS volunteer
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Joyce, was that Tootsie? I thought it was Betty Guarino that read palms but I could be confused on this one??
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Betty Greeno ran the Beehive for a while. I remember when Mark and I were living downtown going over to play miniature golf or getting a banana split!
She had cute little felt ornaments that she made. I still have them and put them on the tree each year!
Joyce

Miniture Golf Course

Post by Joyce »

Richie, Betty Guarno was the name I couldn't remember. Tootie came after her. You are no doubt correct about the palm reading. I know nothing about that.
BMcCaw

Buffettesque Bonus

Post by BMcCaw »

What was great about the day was a serendipitous palm reading to accompany lunch. The quirky nature of it all is very Beaver Island.
It reminds me of a Jimmy Buffett style short story. I often equate the island with the Keys that Jimmy fell in love with in the early 70s
Brendan McCaw
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Brendan, Everyone was kind enough to share information with you, now it's your turn to share with us. :-) What was your fortune when your palm was read and did it come true? :wink:

Skull&CrossBones
Last edited by BI Pirate on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMcCaw

BI Pirate

Post by BMcCaw »

Mention Jimmy Buffett and the Pirates come out the woodwork...
I have always wondered if JB would ever make it to BI; I am confident he has made it to Whiskey Island.
Brendan McCaw
BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

She predicted great fortune, but a short life.

If by fortune or wealth she meant $$$,then I have done enough to be very happy and visit the Island for over 30 years. If she meant fortunate, then I'm truly blessed because I'm finally getting my own place on the Isle..

Now is not the time for the short life part to kick in, but it is not my say...
Brendan McCaw
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Just by being a Parrot Head you are blessed with good fortune. Putting down roots on the island will doubly bless you with a life style that will lead to both quality and quantity of life. Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes works both ways when living on an island. It doesn't matter whether you're sailing north or south, island life can't be beat. If you get to Whiskey Island, I have a tall rum drink with your name on it. :D

Skull&CrossBones
BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

As long as the name on it is not "Sufferin' Bastard" I am much obliged.
Brendan McCaw