ORV Trails Discussion.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

asilasun

Post by asilasun »

The last comment speaks to my feelings as well. I understand why the ORV trails are wanted and I'm not judging that, but BI is truly a special place and sometimes when we make changes that we feel are for the better, it actually alters the whole dynamic. The reason I love BI is because of the peace and solitude, as I'm sure, do many others. You have something to be very proud of and a place of amazing beauty. Please weigh everything carefully, before any decision is made.
kateg

Post by kateg »

I posted a reply in July 2013 against off road vehicles. I was shocked when I looked back that there were comments from 2008. So, this is a long process. As I stated previously, I live downstate at this time, was born and raised on B.I., but have property on Beaver Island. The ORV's that run behind our home downstate have created craters so deep that when it rains, they fill up 12" or more with water. The ORV's nolonger come to our area because the fields are so ruined. We used to walk and cross country ski in the fields but can't anymore.
Kathie Gonyeau
kateg

Post by kateg »

I posted a reply in July 2013 against off road vehicles. I was shocked when I looked back that there were comments from 2008. So, this is a long process. As I stated previously, I live downstate at this time, was born and raised on B.I., but have property on Beaver Island. The ORV's that run behind our home downstate have created craters so deep that when it rains, they fill up 12" or more with water. The ORV's nolonger come to our area because the fields are so ruined. We used to walk and cross country ski in the fields but can't anymore.
Kathie Gonyeau
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Drummond Island allows ATVs on trails and there are huge holes. The trails are just about impassable, as a result.
Tuneman

ORV Trails Discussion.

Post by Tuneman »

A reminder for everybody that would like to see some ORV trails opened up for use by ORV's. Please come to the meeting tomorrow night to show your support, and to give your view of why we need some trails opened up for use.
Hopefully we will be able to see something done to open some of the two track trails for use.
If everybody sticks together we might just be able to get something accomplished.

Thanks.

Mike & Sharon.
tkludt

Drummond orv trails

Post by tkludt »

For reference, here is a orv trail photo from the drummond chamber website. The many trails are of commercial interest to the 120 square mile island facilitated by fast (minutes) and inexpensive ($12 for car and driver) 23 hour per day ferry service.
Allot of folks find the scarred trails ugly and the trail traffic obnoxious.

kateg

Post by kateg »

Thank you for posting that picture. That is what it looks like in the field behind our woods when the off road vehicles have gone through them. You can't walk, cross country ski or even use ORV's once the ground is destroyed. And all of that water freezes in the winter. I kept thinking if we could just connect all of the frozen water in the ruts, we could have a skating rink instead of non-usable land.
Kathie Gonyeau
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

If you were to visit Drummond and walk these trails, you would be much more convinced to not let this happen on Beaver. The trails are full of three foot deep ruts, one after the other. Very difficult to walk them. That is one of the reasons we love Beaver over Drummond.
Hayseeder

Post by Hayseeder »

To all the anti orv. people....You can keep the trails open.If actual rules and regulations are passed against orv. use, they will all become impassible.Us evil people on snowmobiles and quads work very hard maintaining them.Whats next ? outlaw chainsaws ! Mackinaw island is the place for you.

Galen Bartels 231 838 5627