ORV Trails Discussion.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Tuneman

ORV Trails Discussion.

Post by Tuneman »

There will be a discussion about opening some trails on the island for ORV users at the next township meeting which will be on Oct 9, 2013 at 7 pm.
We are encouraging anyone that would like to see some ORV trails on this island to Please come to this meeting to show your support and also to give your input too.
If we all stick together then just maybe it might be possible to get some trails opened up for anybody that likes this type of recreation.
"Hope To See You There!"

Mike & Sharon Hurkmans.
Chris Snyder

Post by Chris Snyder »

I am neither an island resident nor a frequent visitor (yet - we're vacationing there starting tomorrow, and I hope that my wife likes it as much as I do), but I don't understand why trails need to be opened up for ORV use. Aren't there already plenty of lightly-traveled dirt roads and two-tracks on the island that are suitable for ORV use?
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Chirs, I completely agree with you. There are many, many miles of roads and two tracks that are perfect for ORVs. The trails do not need to be chewed up by ORVs. I certainly hope you enjoy your visit!
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Chris! oops on the spelling!
esteger

Post by esteger »

I completely agree with Chris and Trish. All I need is to take my grandchildren for a walk in the woods and run into a bunch of drunks on ORVs shooting guns.
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Orv's

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

It's almost as bad as people shooting their mouths off. I hate that!
Jim Campbell
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Not everyone who rides ORVs are "drunks shooting guns". Many people like to ride without alcohol or firearms. Please don't lump all ORV users into the same category anymore than you would car drivers or boaters!
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Well said Jacque!!
esteger

Post by esteger »

Jacque: Does this mean we must let drunks driving automobiles and shooting guns use our foot trails also?
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Some people continue to prove they're not sharpest knife in the draw. It's fun to stop here once and a while to see people embarrassing themselves.
Last edited by K.A. Pike on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Mr. Pike You certainly showed that when you used THEIR instead of THEY'RE. :D
Bob
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Hey Bob, at least someone is on THEIR game today.
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

ORV's

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

I'm off the island right now stocking up on ammunition and looking for a small car that will fit down all the trails and hold plenty of liquor and beer!
Jim Campbell
Tim Keeney

Post by Tim Keeney »

One word: HUMMER (the original huge one like the military uses)

Plenty of storage for all you need (a keg and a couple cases of liquor at least) and, if it doesn't fit the trails, one pass through and the trail will fit the Hummer. Sort of opens up the options for all the other new users.

p.s. I think they make machine gun mounts for this model also.
Chris Snyder

Post by Chris Snyder »

I'm happy to say that we had a wonderful time on the island last week - thanks to everyone for your hospitality, and for tolerating (or even engaging with) our (mostly well-behaved) 2.5yo and 6mo. Our two-year-old said it best when he said, "I want to stay here forever." Initially, I had to convince my wife that the island was worth the trip. Now, the debate centers around the frequency of return visits.

After exploring the island further, I still fail to see the need for additional ORV access. At least to this Grand Rapidian, many of the existing public roads are as close to "off-road" as you can get - barring just the ORV sticker requirement. My low-clearance Mazda certainly would have had difficulty with some of them.

In my opinion, allowing ORVs on hiking trails would be a huge mistake, potentially hurting the island's main source of revenue. For many (I'd venture most) tourists, BI's appeal is its feeling of remoteness and unspoiled nature, coupled with the warm, inviting community and excellent amenities - a rare combination. Most tourists aren't looking to go to BI for ORV trails (and of those that are, many would be satisfied with the current roads). However, even a few ORV users - no matter how well-behaved - on hiking trails would spoil the experiences of the quiet-seeking majority.

I understand that those of you on the island may feel different - you've explored all of the roads already, and are a two-hour boat ride away from further exploration. However, I bet that if trails are opened up to ORV access, you'll find the same level of dissatisfaction quickly set in as those newly-accessible trails become old-hat.

You're entrusted with a rare gem. While it is your prerogative to govern it as you see fit, please remember your role as stewards of this exceptional natural resource.