Beaver island Ice Classic

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BobTidmore

Beaver island Ice Classic

Post by BobTidmore »

It's BACK again, the winters favorite event the

Beaver Island ICE CLASSIC

THANKS TO THIS YEARS LAUNCH TEAM
Jimmy Wojan
Bob Banville
Jon Fogg
Pat Nugent
Dillon Butler

The contest is over the 1st day of spring or if there is
warm weather it will be earlier.

This year the first day of spring this year is Wednesday, March 20

Each guess is $5.00 or 6 (yes 6) for $20.00

PAST WINNERS AND TIMES
2011 12:22 pm April 10 $1000
2010 4:10 pm, March 18. Prize $700
2009 1:58 pm, April 9 Prize $1100
2008 11:34pm, April 8 Prize $1200
2007 2:52pm March 28 Prize 1200
2006 8:29 pm March 29 Prize $600

Tickets will be available at McDonoughâ??s Sunday February 10, 2013 or at the Community Center or from PABI board members.

Off the island and want to participate?
e-mail me at

b_tidmore@hotmail.com

Bob Tidmore

sailorman

Post by sailorman »

Looks like I can't sail into the harbor yet. The Ice Classic looks like the best bet until the harbor is clear for us sailors.
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

There is a live feed of the Ice Classic tower thanks to the camera at Dalwhinnie Bakery & Deli.

Now we can see if Bob Banville puts salt on the ice around the tower a few days before the date he guessed.

Tickets are at McDonough's or the Community Center.

Bob Tidmore

Here is the web site

http://96.60.64.94/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=4634
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

There is less than one week to get your tickets for the Beaver Island Ice Classic. Tickets will continue to be sold until the last day of winter, March 19th. and are available at McDonough's or the Community Center. The winner collects 1/2 of the total sales and the other 1/2 goes to support the Community Center.
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

Tuesday is the last day to buy tickets for the Ice Classic, as the 20th is the first day of spring. If you are off the island and want to purchase one you can send me the money and I will enter your guess. They are $5.00 per ticket or 6 (right six) for $20.00. Indicate the day, hour, minute and AM or PM and send it to:

Bob Tidmore
Box 62
Beaver Island, MI 49782

They need to be postmarked not later than the 19th.

As a note the first trip of the Emerald Isle is April 3rd and with all the ice in the harbor it is most likely they will require a Coast Guard Ice breaker break the ice. Their path is normally at least a 1/4-mile away and should not affect the tower.
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

Lots of ice still in the harbor. Shot of the tower today and notice the lone seagull next to the legs, don't know what that is about but suspect Bob Banville has something to do with it. Also a shot toward the marina, the open ice is about 75 feet from the tower.

The Coast Guard ice breaker is scheduled here sometime Wednesday but that will take place at least a 1/4 mile from the tower.

BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

The end may be near. You can see on the camera from Dalwhinnie Bakery & Deli that the tower has moved and when I went down this morning the opening near the marina has grown larger.
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

Photos taken this morning.

BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

It's over for 2013. I have an unofficial time of 12:18 PM but have ask Bill McDonough to check his security camera to see if he agrees. The tickets are locked up at the Beaver Island District Library and we can't get to them until tomorrow afternoon and will let you know then.

The total ticket sales were just over $1,400 so the winner will get over $700.

Thanks for all your support of the Beaver Island Community Center

BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

A number of people called to see who the winner was so I ask Barbara Cruckshank to go to the library with us and get the tickets and then witness the review of them at the library.

As usual we had a number of close guesses of the actual time of 12:12 PM

Andy Kohl 11:56 AM
Keith Snyder 12:01 PM
Others close picks were 1:00 PM and 11:30 AM

The winner was Brian Tidmore of Santa Monica, CA with a time of 12:12 PM. That is the birthdate (December 12) of his son Caspian.

Thanks for your help Barbara
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Rumor has it that McDonough's webcam shows an unidentified person pushing the Ice Classic tower with a broom handle toward open water in the harbor at about noon today :?: :?: :?: :wink:

Skull&CrossBones