Avian Botulism is back!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jacquel

Avian Botulism is back!

Post by jacquel »

I have been getting reports of dead birds on the beaches of Beaver Island. This morning I checked out a section along Reddings Trail and found over 20 dead loons. Bonner's landing had another 9. A call was about 5 on McCauley's Point and Donegal Bay as well as another 4 on Iron Ore Bay.

Careful! Please if you walk the beaches with your dogs, keep them on a short leash and don't let them lick or eat on the carcasses. They may get sick or worse!

Avian Botulism rears it's ugly head when the water is warm and the algae population is large. It enters the food chain and works it's way up to the fish "ducks" and loons. Since we have had low lake levels, warm temperatures and an algal bloom, it was expected.

Anyone walking beaches, please let me know if you find any dead birds. While I have not collected any fresh birds for necropsy, I believe it is the botulism. The birds are dying in the deeper waters and get washed up on shore during big winds. If possible, please bury the carcasses.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Sadly, I found four dead birds today on Cable's Bay. Two loons and two other smaller waterfowl. Jacque, any instructions on burying? Away from the water or cover with sand where they lay?
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

If possible, burying the birds would keep them out of the food chain for the scavengers. Move them above the high water line and bury them well to keep those with fine noses from sniffing them out and uncovering them.

Thank you,
Jacque
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

The Transfer station is making an exception to help us clean up the beaches. Anyone wishing to pick up the dead birds must double bag them (in household garbage bags) and deliver to the transfer station during open hours only, please! Also, please tell the personnel that these were some of the dead birds collected.

If you would also keep track of numbers and species and let me know that information, it would help with my records too.

On the same topic... I would like to get a crew together to hit Sand Bay which had quite a number of dead birds. If we can get enough folks, we could divide up the stretches, haul bags to the road and have a pickup come by and load up.

Anyone wishing to help with that cleanup please respond or contact me at 2220 and we'll get a date set up. Many hands make light work.

Jacque
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

I am willing to help. Let me know which day(s) and if I am on the Isle, I will help.
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

I am thinking that this Sat. might work well... in the morning? I have some people willing and others may just be waiting for a definite date. Please contact me if you are willing and able. The more hands the less work.

Jacque
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

I will not be there until the week of Thanksgiving.
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Let's meet on Saturday, the 10th at 10 a.m. CMU parking lot. Depending on how many can come, will depend upon how long it will take.
Please wear good walking shoes and if you have access to a sled, it will make carrying easier.
I'll provide gloves and bags.

Hope to see you there.

Jacque

P.S. Also was alerted to some of Donegal Bay needing cleanup. Might need to plan another work day there.
mantinori

Post by mantinori »

I can help out then, see you there!
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

A suggestion was made to bring a shovel... doesn't need to be a big one. Some birds are a little under the sand.

So... sled, shovel and good walking shoes. If you have them.
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Another message: the transfer station personnel request that the bags being brought in not be sealed. They need to ID the birds and tape the beaks. So if you are collecting from elsewhere (than Sand Bay on Sat.) be aware of that too.

The Transfer station is accepting the dead, bagged birds free of charge. Thank you to them and the waste management committee for making this happen.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

I am grateful to all of you that undertake this sad yet important task.
jacquel

CLEAN UP CANCELLED

Post by jacquel »

Saturday's cleanup is cancelled due to weather. Stay tuned for next date... probably next weekend.