Norm Cash-26 Years Gone, Thursday Oct. 11th!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Norm Cash-26 Years Gone, Thursday Oct. 11th!

Post by Gillespie »

Someone sent me this link tonite, which I responded to, what sadness there truly is in misrepresentation. Much could be said but read this" http://www.laptoppublishing.com/whatale ... omment-311
Mark

Post by Mark »

"Much could be said?" As an extremely interested though uninformed summer visitor, I'd like too hear it Richie. Please; a little history.
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

That reminds me of some of the stories Stanley used to start; he was still wearing glasses and died with his boots on which I thought of when he was lying there. Thought he was a trooper that died with his boots on; (the way I want to go) R.E.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

a Chicago Tribune article follows.

Cash, 51, drowned in Lake Michigan Sunday after failing off a slippery dock on Beaver Island, where he and his wife, Dorothy, owned a condominium, authorities said.

At the time of the accident, Cash was headed back to his 33-foot cabin cruiser, the ``Stormin` Norman``--the nickname he earned during his 15 years with the Tigers.

Brendan LaBlance, a friend who made the trip to Beaver Island with Cash and his wife, told the Detroit News the three went to dinner at the King Strang Hotel, then to the Shamrock Bar.

Cash left the bar alone just before midnight and returned to the boat, but LeBlance said the former first baseman was not intoxicated when he slipped off the dock into the chilly waters of northern Lake Michigan.

``Everything seemed fine,`` he told the newspaper. ``But it was raining and miserable. The dock was in very bad shape and he was wearing cowboy boots.``

Divers recovered Cash`s body at 11:15 a.m. Sunday in about 15 feet of water. The Charlevoix County Sheriff`s Department said there was no evidence of any foul play.

Cash`s body was returned to the Detroit area Sunday night, but funeral arrangements were still pending Monday. In addition to his second wife, Cash is survived by a son, Jay Carl, and a daughter, Julie. The family lived in the Detroit suburb of Bloomfield Hills.

``I`ve never known a ballplayer who got as much fun out of playing baseball,`` said Jim Campbell, the Tigers` president and chief executive officer.

Campbell called Cash a ``free spirit.``

``He was one of the more entertaining guys I`ve ever been around. He got along with the fans, the media, with everybody. He was one of the great ball players in Tiger history.``

``He never let anyone get down. He was such a happy-go-lucky guy, he made everyone feel good,`` said former teammate Al Kaline.