French Bay

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Tom Allen

French Bay

Post by Tom Allen »

Anyone here able to tell me what happened to the French Bay forest area below the bluffs on the west side? For years I've enjoyed the untouched nature of that area...which left me stunned when I visited the place this year...it looks like a war zone, logged to the toothpicks. Someone said theres a subdivision going in there...sorry to see one more of the last good places to go on the block...and wondering what green 'the emerald isle' is becoming about--natural beauty, or money?

Tom
Rich

Post by Rich »

Anythings for sale Tom, if you want it. We did enjoy the "outback" for many, many years while others owned it. That cannot remain forever unfortunately!
Chamber of Commerce

Public Land

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

South of French Bay (Southwest tip of the Island) is nearly two (2) full miles of beach front public land on Lake Mi. For a map please see www.beaverisland.org .

Best Wishes From Beaver Island
Tom Allen

Post by Tom Allen »

"It can't remain forever"... makes it sound like development of wild areas is inevitable, like the sunrise, or taxes. But it's also a matter of public choice and priorities...and the imagination of, or lack of, those who only see one way to convert wilderness into residential areas. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and there are less destructive ways to build subdivisions...it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition, though people on both sides of the issue would like to insist that it is.

As for the public beach lands down there, excellent, a great asset for the people, no doubt. But that doesn't replace a forest. If everything's for sale, then nothing's really valuable, in the bigger picture. So it goes, and goes, and goes...

Tom
Rich

Post by Rich »

Tom, You are absolutely right, I nominate you as chairman of the planning commission!!!
Tom Allen

Post by Tom Allen »

Great, Rich! When can I start? :wink:
rICH

Post by rICH »

Ummmm, I don't vote in that township!!! :mrgreen:

Post by guest »

Logging an overgrown dense forest is essential for the wildlife.
Tom Allen

Post by Tom Allen »

Except that it wasn't really an overgrown, dense forest, Guest. And if I'm not mistaken, a number of forms of wildlife depend on forests for habitat; though they aren't usually the species that sportsman go for--so I guess they don't matter, hm?

Tom
K Fallon

french bay

Post by K Fallon »

:( :( :( On my wall in a picture frame is my most favorite old bumper sticker (MAROONED AND HAPPY ON BEAVER ISLAND) However i am disturbed by the developments on french bay !!!! This is one of a few sights that take my HAPPY away.......Thank God the state owns as much property as they do or the emerald green would just be a memory of the past....... :!: :( :(