Beach Walkers wanted! Warning- Botulism could be on the rise

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jacquel

Beach Walkers wanted! Warning- Botulism could be on the rise

Post by jacquel »

I just received a call from Tip of the Mitt wondering if we have been finding any dead birds (conditions are ripe for the Avian Botulism outbreak again).

So.... anyone who walks beaches (or who would like to) please contact me (448-2220) if you find any dead birds. Fresh is important for necropsy to determine cause of death. Fresh means it doesn't smell! Birds can be picked up with gloved hands and placed into a garbage bag. I'll check about disposal. I know the annual beach clean up is coming up and want to alert those workers too!

This note also means to warn folks about the dangers of botulism to pets. Watch your pets and don't let them pick up or eat anything dead on the beaches!

Contact me with any questions!

Thank you!
Jacque
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Beach Cleanup people- let me know if you find any dead birds.
Also, if you regularly walk a particular beach, please let me know which one(s) and if you would be willing to record numbers of birds found.

Thank you
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Saw a seagull head on Cable's Bay two days ago. Too creeped out to pick it up.
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Thank you Trish. Keep looking for fresh ones. Are you doing the clean up this weekend?
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

No, darn it, we won't be here.