The Great Day--and the Irish it celebrates

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Robert

The Great Day--and the Irish it celebrates

Post by Robert »

Just a little counterpoint to my good friend Mr. McBain's annual editorial in the Charlevoix Courier--the one in which he graciously reminds us of how the Scots are supposedly the originators of what the Irish play, wear, and even pay homage to, in the form of St. Patrick. Who knew that the good St. Pat may have originally hailed from Scotland? Indeed!

Is there a better time than St. Patrick's Day to boast of Scottish culture and traditions, and assert once again that the Irish supposedly appropriated many of the customs they're known for celebrating?

Well, in a word, yes. How about St. Andrews Day? That's the November day being pushed in Scotland for acceptance as a national holiday. I for one would be delighted to read a full-page write-up on the wonders and contributions of the Scottish people in the pages of the Courier...on THAT day.

But for now I'll just say that this holiday, St. Patrick's Day, is obviously dedicated not only to Ireland's Patron Saint, but is meant to recognize and honor the Irish themselves. It has come to honor their native land, their many gifts to the world in the realms of art, music, literature, and political thought; their pursuit of democracy wherever they lived or settled, and to their fight for justice and equality in many corners of the world stage over the centuries.

The Irish have endured much and achieved more, within their own nation and across the world. This is their holiday, and throughout the lively celebrations that are to come, we should take a moment to remember why we're celebrating, what we're really celebrating, and upon whose shoulders we stand to be here today. Slainte,

Robert
J.McBain

Post by J.McBain »

I agree with Cole on how St. Patrick's Day should be recognized. Sometimes it dissapoints me when I see the beauty of that day bastardized by some newer American traditions. That is why I wrote the editorial, to point out how we are wrong and to celebrate the holiday as it should be. The Irish have so many better customs than the Scottish, it confuses me why some Americans want to infuse the bagpipes and kilt into their wonderful history. The scots were warriors while the Irish are warriors, poets, romantics, musicians and the most courageous people on the face of this freaking earth. Irish music is so lively, so full of cheer and emotion. While Scottish music just makes you want to get into a fight. It was not meant to say the Scottish or the Irish are any better than each other. It was just meant to say, "Hey, let's stop bastardizing this. But, if you don't want to, let's just be honest about it." If it seemed that I was insulting Irish, I apologize. My Irish grandmother would be rolling in her grave if I believed that.
In my editorial, I was just trying to be a little humorous on the two cultures and point out how we have intertwined them. I write a similar editorial every year and every year I get telephone calls and letters saying I am wrong on my history (in a light-hearted way). In the past, I have pointed out the joys of Irish, though lessons and tales told by my grandmother. This year's editorial was shortened due to the fact that I wanted to talk about Beaver Island and it being named the best place to be for St. Patrick's Day.
I did say in the editorial that it seems the two cultures are brothers. Yes, evidence shows that St. Patrick may have been born in Scotland.
I look forward to enjoying a stout or two with Cole Saturday in the Shamrock.
J.McBain

yes, this year's editorial was high on Scottish history

Post by J.McBain »

Cole â??
This was my column last year at this time. Notice the praise I gave to the irish and the island for teaching me about the irish heritage:

...... letâ??s chat a little about St. Patrickâ??s Day, which is March 17. It has always been a special day for me, as I am half Irish â?? mix that with my beloved Scottish heritage and Spanish blood and I believe you have the â??perfectâ?￾ human being! Along with learning about the pride that comes with being Scottish, by family also taught me the joys of being Irish.
Every St. Patrickâ??s Day my Irish grandmother would wear her green clothing and pinch us mercilessly if we did not. She would also tell me when I was a child that St. Patrickâ??s Day was a day when the leprechauns would come out, and if I caught one by the ankle it would have to tell me where its pot of gold was. I spend many hours searching the house for those little buggers.
As I got older, St. Patrickâ??s Day became a â??partyâ?￾ day for me. I would engage in all the usual sorts of debauchery that Americanâ??s enjoy doing on this holiday and would usually end up playing my bagpipes for some pub crawl or party.
In fact, for the past four years I have played by bagpipes on Beaver Island for its annual St. Patrickâ??s Day festivities. It was on this island, though, that I learned St. Patrickâ??s Day is not about ingesting large amounts of green beer.
St. Patrick was a religious man that came to Ireland from Scotland and brought Christianity to the pagan Celts of that land. Under his guidance, Ireland became a Christian country, which is why he is honored by the Irish to this day.
In Ireland, St. Patrickâ??s Day is not a day to go out and party. It is a religious day and most everybody spends their time in church remembering their patron saint.
Why the green and the shamrock? Well, the green represents the Catholic faith. So, you wear green to show your ties to the Catholic faith of Ireland. Some people on St. Patrickâ??s Day wear orange, which is the color of the Protestant faith.
The shamrock was used by St. Patrick to teach the holy trinity. He used the three leaves on this Irish plant to represent the father, son and holy ghost.
Letâ??s address some other beliefs of St. Patrickâ??s Day:
â?¢ This one makes me laugh every year. The bagpipes you hear commonly played in St. Patrickâ??s Day parades, pub crawls â?? or by certain small-town newspaper editors â?? are NOT Irish. They are called the Great Highland Bagpipes or Warpipes and are from Scotland. Furthermore, most of the music played on the Great Highland Bagpipes is Scottish.
â?¢ The kilt and the tartan are also Scottish, not Irish. Irish families DO NOT have a tartan, that is a Scottish tradition that actually may have been started in the 1800s.
â?¢ There were no snakes in Ireland for St. Patrick to drive out. The tale is believed to mean he drove all the pagans out of Ireland.
â?¢ Green beer, green rivers, heavy drinking and beads are American traditions on St. Patrickâ??s Days. The beads are really a new one that seem to confuse St. Patrickâ??s Day with Mardi Gras.
Now I am not telling you these little tidbits to take the joy out of your fun this holiday. Heck, I will probably join in and will probably be playing my bagpipes somewhere.
I just hope that while you raise a glass in joy, remember the real meaning behind St. Patrickâ??s Day. Perhaps even a little toast or prayer in honor of this Irish saintâ??s work to bring Christianity to Ireland would be sufficient.

In looking at other columns on the matter I was also very high on the Irish. So, you are right. Compared to year's past, this year's editorial column had a little too much information on Scotland â?? that was due to length issues.
I will remedy it in the future. Thank you for pointing it out.
Slainté
cheri ken

Scots-Iriish

Post by cheri ken »

Growing up, I was always told I was half Scotch-Irish, not Scotch and Irish. Really, the two cultures are so geographically close that it's understandable that their traditions melded. I think it's not important to differentiate between the two as to celebrate the union of the two.

Post by GUEST »

It dissapoints me also to see ST. PATRICK'S DAY bastardized by some newer American traditions. We all know it's a money maker for the Island and the mainland. What happens on the mainland I could care less. You have to think of how many people we know that would enjoy a traditional party. Iwill not invite freinds from far to my Island until the Great Day on 'Beaver Island' gets some respect.When that happens, The Planes will fly non stop, The Motels will be full, All Pubs will be packed. Beaver Island has alot of strong Irish lads and lasses. let's stop all the rolling over in the cemetery,leave the bagpipes and kilt on the porch and let ED PALMER and the GILLESPIE KIDS have the floor. Let them play and people will come.